Friday, January 4, 2013

Thoughts on Fiscal Cliff

Anyone that job hunts notices that there's ebbs and flows to the visible job market. Before the election, things were getting less visible. Around the holidays things got less visible, but the fiscal cliff loomed to magnify the feeling. With the "deal" made this week, one can expect next week to begin a new normal.

Sadly, politics factor as much as they do into hiring and firing people. I believe that it was no coincidence that I was laid-off a week after voters of my state decided to raise the minimum wage. I wasn't making minimum wage, but I got replaced by someone that made less than me to off set the forced raises.

By raising the minimum wage, was anyone's life made better? Maybe if you were making minimum wage and kept your job. If everyone making over the new minimum wage didn't get a raise, then they would feel a pinch with their buying power, right? Profit margins are skewed by the labor costs, thus dictating goods and services to increase in cost. Profits are what keep businesses afloat. The tech bubble of the Clinton years burst when profits weren't realized.

The debt ceiling is the new whammy. Gold has not gone crazy in value, so I must be missing something.

No comments:

Post a Comment