Monday, December 17, 2012

End of unemployment benefits

There was a time when 26 weeks was the max of benefits. Last time I was unemployed, I used 26 weeks and found something. That something was working two nights a week at Kohl's for a mere $7.70 an hour.

On a normal week I could expect 16 hours. I took the job with mixed feelings. I didn't have to pay for day care with those hours. I didn't have to drive much. I didn't have to buy a new wardrobe. $123 is not much, but it's $123 more than nothing.

After working a few shifts, I got a job elsewhere which paid roughly $280 week. It required finding a sitter and driving more, but it netted more than $123. The job's hours conflicted with Kohl's, so I had to quit.

I made less than what I was during those 26 weeks of unemployment, but we got by as well as when I was working fulltime. We even paid off some debt, as I got more hours and raises. I eventually was fulltime and having to pay $200+ a week for child care. I was netting about the same as working part-time, but I figured my kids won't need child care forever. Then I got let go and was making less on unemployment than I was paying in childcare since I was credited only one quarter of fulltime employment.

Again, it was more than nothing and I didn't have to pay for childcare so it was much like my working at Kohl's. Now I'm back to making nothing, which makes Kohl's seem reasonable.

No comments:

Post a Comment